Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rock and Roll with Pamela

I attend concerts. Lots of concerts. I see orchestras, chamber groups, opera, vocal concerts, soloists, free concerts and the big bucks kind. I often get the best seats, and I hold my breath during the drop dead gorgeous passages, my throat aches when a singer vocalizes in the ranges I cannot. I play the piano with my fingers along with the performers. I am blessed to be able to attend these events, and pray I will never have to take ticketmaster off my favorites bar.

I love the Rock and Roll. My goal is to see all the rock icons from my lifetime before I go to the great nosebleed section in the sky. These icons are my own designation, not those of Rolling Stone. These icons are the groups, the bands, the sound that have shaped my life. I have dragged them through all the good times and the bad, with the people who affected my travels and the forks in the road of Pamela's life. Every guitar chord opens a window in my mind and a little movie plays. It's overwhelming.

Obviously my icons are getting old along with me. Some have died, some just look like they are dead. I know why they continue. There is NOTHING like a performance high. The worship of adoring fans is endorphinic, if that is a word. Most don't need the money. They are there for me and my fellow boomers and for the kids and grandkids we are so desparately trying to turn on to the good stuff.

In the past 5 years, I expect I have seen about 30 of my icons. Each one brings out a new rule for my fellow concert attenders. Here is a summary:

1. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GROUP, DON'T GO. You will just make it miserable for the rest of us.
2. SHUT UP. Applaud, hoot, whistle in moderation and when appropriate. Unless invited by the performer, DON'T SING ALONG. I paid to hear them, not you.
3. SIT DOWN. Not a big deal in an audience of the youth, but with us boomers, we have worked for 100 years and our feet hurt, and our backs hurt. We paid for the seat and we can't see through you.
4. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. Your drooling boyfriend may be enjoying your off-tempo swaying and writhing, but I don't. Save it for later.
5. STAY PUT. Wait for the intermission to disturb everyone in your row. Gotta pee? Quit drinking so much beer.
6. NEVER BRING A BABY TO A ROCK CONCERT. Must I explain this? In fact, don't bring a child to any concert unless the name contains the word SESAME.

See? It's that easy! Enjoy Rockin in the Free World. But don't mess with Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment