Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 2, 2010

Boycott?

In the late 1940s, Chester returned to his family from the military. He worked at several jobs, and eventually bought a service station in his small Iowa town. He first contracted with Mobil, then Cities Service, then Citgo, and eventually Gulf Oil. His business grew to include four service stations and a thriving farm delivery service. He was a hard worker, a community leader, and a loving and responsible husband and father to his 3 children.
As you probably know or have guessed, Chester was my father. I loved and respected him, learning from him the ways of responsible living, loyalty, and service to the community. He gave discounts to teachers and clergy. He forgave more debts than we will ever know. The only time I saw him cry was when he had to fire an employee because he was drinking on the job. When he died in 1986, more people came to his funeral than would fit into the rather large church.
Were Chester to learn of the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, he would be as helplessly saddened and outraged as am I.
Boycott BP, they continue to tell me. I admit when I see the sign on a service station I am initially repulsed. I would cheer at the prospect of hurting this giant corporation as they continue to destroy our country, its people and the innocent animals who live there, while their executives continue to lavish in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.
But I can't. I can't touch them. The fact is, only about 200 service stations in the US are actually owned by BP. The rest are privately owned; their owners only contract with BP to sell their products.
So it appears that to boycott BP only hurts the Chesters of the world. Think about it next time you drive by a BP station. Then go home and send some money to the people who are cleaning pelicans and rescuing turtles.

3 comments:

  1. How true! Chester and the privately owned BP stations are victims just like the turtles and the pelicans. The difference is that we can all cut our use of petroleum based products--even a little. This 4th of July we can walk to the store, or the fireworks display or just stay home and spend some time contemplating the the tiny bit of power we--you and I--actually have. And how we can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have liked your father...sounds like he worked hard and did right by people...my kind of guy!

    Linda Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and accurate description of Grandpa Chet!!

    ReplyDelete