Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 11, 2011

It's not about me anymore, is it?

Long ago and far away, I was a recent college graduate. I was cool and I was hip and I was liberal and I discovered Saturday Night Live. My friends and I knew that at 11:30 PM every Saturday night we would procure our favorite mind-altering substance and lots of munchies and we would tune in. It was funny; it was aimed at us intelligent left-wingers. We understood the jokes and could repeat the skits verbatim the next week at work, and we were cool and we were hip.
It seemed a natural progression from Laugh In and the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Our show. My show.
So it continued, every Saturday night at 11:30, or 10:30,
I am not so sure when it was, but sometime in the last 2 years or so, I came to a realization. SNL was no longer written for me. And furthermore, it had not been written for me for the last 20 years or so. It had become a struggle. I would watch the opening bit, usually political, which was good. After that, I would find my attention waning, I no longer understood the skits, I didn't know who the hosts were, I didn't know nor like the musical guests. I found myself reading the paper, doing a puzzle or a sudoku, and usually after the Weekend Update, I was on my way to dreamland. Yet I continued to watch. It's a hard habit to break.
Along with this startling revelation has come another, more significant one: I am no longer a member of a target demographic. Well, jeez, no wonder nothing makes sense any more. Good movies are few and far between, TV continues to throw out sitcoms and reality TV shows. Clothing choices are dismal; manufacturers assume I want to bare my all-to-ample body to those around me. News broadcasts, newspapers, and websites are inundated with pop culture and assume that I care. I am a 64 y/o caught in a society that doesn't care what I like. And if anyone out there want's to go get a coffee or glass of wine on a late Saturday night, give me a call.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN to all of that. Let's see: There are two tv serial/shows worth the time (The Closer and NCIS) Looking forward to the return of L&O:CI. Other than those fiction shows, an occasional news show where they really given NEWS and not Charlie Sheen or the latest who-gives-a-rip celebrity. There. That felt good!

    ReplyDelete