Pages

Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 22, 2009

It's finally here!

The economy has tanked. The stockmarket is in freefall. Evil individuals are confiscating our money and our lives. Our new leadership is assuring us it will get better, but not for some time and we all have to work together. It's not a good idea to change our jobs. 401Ks are unrecognizable. Layoffs. Loss of healthcare benefits and pensions. The planet is in chaos, and I am a member of the planet.



So I retired.



I had a great job. A six-figure income, great benefits, and was getting a 3% cost of living adjustment. I am a member of a profession in the throes of a shortage due to some bean counter who, in the early 90s, made a decimal error and reported to the great Universities that we would need 1/10 of the folks that we actually did. They cut their class sizes and sent us into a tailspin. I was near the top of the seniority list. I really liked my job as a clinical pharmacist at a major medical center, likely the most prestigious in the US. I got along great with and respected my coworkers. Yes. I was living the good life.



So I retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment